Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Side experiment!

Today I would like to fill you in on a side experiment I am having regarding worm reproduction.

I have taken about 5-6 adult worms and put them in a very small container.  It will take quite a while for this container to fill up with castings, my guess is about 1-2 months.

Once the container is full I will:
•count out how many worms are in the bin
•divide the worms into adults and non adults
•and finally count the cocoons, and divide the cocoons into hatched and unhatched.


This should tell me about how fast worms can reproduce in a confined environment. It is pretty hard to guess how many worms are in a larger bin, and forget about counting out worms in a large bin!  It will be nice to know how quickly a few worms can reproduce.
Mini worm bin made from old blank CD case
Just a few bits of shredded paper, some crushed egg shells and some strawberry tops makes it easier to view the worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment